Skip to main content

Facebook

Sharing your life and the lack of privacy just got closer. Where does the line blur?

The new and upcoming facebook features disturbs me. If we recall, about a year or two ago, facebook was a budding social networking site that some vehemently protested against. Yet nowadays, it's hard to find somebody without a facebook account. all those protestors? -converted too. It was a "social networking" site that started out with the said purpose: to network. But now, networking has been brought to a whole new level of cyber stalking. The ticker box with its instant updates, and the upcoming timeline that is suppose to summarise your lifestory into a SINGLE webpage, all these new features on the popular networking site, disturbs me. But the even more disturbing thing is, i think these are features that people will come to embrace, in time. just like facebook did. While the initial rude shock of the change will probably trigger off some cognitive protest in each of us(because it clearly is WEIRD), in time, the convenience of the feature will take over and before you know it, you'll be using the new feature and not even thinking about it. Often times, it's these little "conveniences" that gets you started on something small, before leading you into something much bigger.

What happened to privacy? why is there a preoccupation to "share" your life and thoughts with the whole world? why is there a need to know what the whole world is doing at every second? What happened to the elegance of things better left unsaid?

The problem is that zuckerburg is probably much too smart for our good. The problem with facebook is that it plays up on the tiny flaws of human nature, and draws you in, because sins are tempting. Facebook plays on the inner busybody in each of us, feeds, expands it, and thus keeps us coming back. The problem with facebook is that it is so artfully designed to give you a good experience, that you don't even recognise it. People like it so much that it becomes a very natural and integral part of life, that nobody stops to ponder about where it is leading them. Why is there no "dislike" button after people rant and rave for it? surely they can hear the feedback, and surely, if we can think of it, they can too. Then why? Probably because it introduces an element of negativity that would decrease your enjoyment of the site. And they wouldn't want that. Because they want us to keep going back.

I don't like where this is going, and i sincerely hope that i am over-compliacting things once again. Maybe it's too early to say.

Comments

hey! I saw the tickerbox and boy, its really like the stock market, lol. I thought it was cool to have an online identity for sharing but now its getting abit stalkerish ha.
I saw your statement on elegance of having things unsaid... indeed!

Popular posts from this blog

Recluse

Once every so often, I like to withdraw into myself and shut out the world- whimsically. Just stop talking. No real reasons. Not really the first time. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, this is a part of me that needs some getting used to. Perhaps, the people who knows me, knows this happens. Perhaps, the people who do, doesnt exist. Perhaps i'm wrong- Perhaps this is selfish. But once, just once, every so often- i'd like to claim my leave from social behaviors. Just once every so often, i'd like to disappear. Take the phone off the hook- for ages. -I'm sorry though, if my habits hurt. And i do so appreciate the concern too. But, like my daddy says: ourself knows best. sk

overwhelming

i woke up at 4am this morning without an alarm, thinking about all the work undone. realising it's the 12th, and that i'm meeting AC on the 19th to run through my presentation, which i haven't editted. thinking about needing to submit 12 more prescriptions by tomorrow, and i haven't done any. thinking about topics discussions that have't been fulfilled. thinking. thinking. thinking. but unable to drag myself outta bed; my body resisting to put itself through the tsunami of shit. grr. i shall shut both my eyes and trudge through it. Need to remind myself really, that work never stops. ever. Need to remind myself of who i am truly- that i exist without the work. i simply have to start living and breathing again. A random thought, you know how some sites like to ask you to key in some verification code before posting? I like the way blogger does it. "Please prove that you're not a robot." haha, but unfortunately, i think i am becoming one. ok. e

Limited time

We all have limited time on this Earth,  and a limited 24 hours in a day. What you choose to pack into that 24 hours, will decide what your life portrait will look like at the end of your road. (Yes, I think a lot about the end of the road nowadays.) I was just thinking to myself yesterday, if i applied the "rise of the guardian" concept to myself, what would my core be? I had wanted it to be love. I had thought that love shouldn't be limited. I had thought, that I would be able to dedicate a certain share of love to all the people in my life, who needed the care at the point in time when they do. I had thought, that my heart should be big enough to welcome as many people in as possible. Because ultimately, at the end of my road, I want to breath my last breath smiling, knowing that I have made a difference to people. I had thought that was possible, but i forgot that while my heart can be limitless, my time can't. In trying to be everybody's friend, I have fa